Have you ever wondered how two of the most iconic singers of our time, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, came together to make one of the most successful and acclaimed albums of their careers? How did they meet, collaborate, and create Cheek to Cheek, a collection of jazz standards that showcases their vocals, chemistry, and musicality?
In this article, we will explore how Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett met, collaborated, and created Cheek to Cheek, one of the most successful and acclaimed albums of their careers. We will also look at how they promoted the album, how they received critical and commercial acclaim for it, and what it means for their careers and legacy.
How Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett met
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett first met in 2011 when they performed together at a charity event in New York. They were introduced by their mutual friend, the artist Tony Bennett, who had painted a portrait of Lady Gaga for Vanity Fair magazine.
They instantly connected and admired each other’s music and style. Lady Gaga was impressed by Tony Bennett’s legendary career and charisma, while Tony Bennett was impressed by Lady Gaga’s versatility and talent.
They decided to record a duet of The Lady Is a Tramp for Tony Bennett’s album Duets II, which was released later that year. The duet was a hit, and they enjoyed working together so much that they decided to make a full album of jazz standards together.
How Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett decided to make Cheek to Cheek
After the success of their duet, Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett decided to make a full album of jazz standards together, which they called Cheek to Cheek. Based on their personal favorites and influences, they chose the songs for the album. They aimed to pay tribute to the great jazz singers and composers of the past, such as Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Cole Porter, etc.
With a live band and orchestra, they recorded the album in various studios in New York and Los Angeles. Without any auto-tune or editing, they sang live in front of each other. Their goal was to capture the raw emotion and spontaneity of jazz music.
During the recording sessions, they also had fun and shared stories and jokes. Their age difference did not matter, as they developed a close friendship and mutual respect. They learned from each other and inspired each other.
How Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett promoted Cheek to Cheek
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett promoted Cheek to Cheek with various performances, interviews, and appearances, both in the US and abroad. They wanted to share their love for jazz music with their fans and the public.
Here are some examples of their performances:
- At the Grammy Awards in 2015, where they won the award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album
- At the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon in 2014, where they sang several songs from the album
- At the Royal Variety Performance in 2014, where they performed in front of Prince William and Kate Middleton
- At various concerts around the world, such as in Las Vegas, London, Paris, etc.
Some of their interviews include:
- With Oprah Winfrey in 2014, where they talked about their friendship and collaboration
- With Howard Stern in 2014, where they revealed some personal details about their lives
- With NPR in 2014, where they discussed their passion for jazz music
Some of their appearances include:
- At the ArtRave in 2014, Lady Gaga invited Tony Bennett to join her on stage.
- At the H&M commercial in 2014, where they sang It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)
- At the Barnes & Noble signing in 2014, where they signed copies of their album for their fans
How Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett received critical and commercial acclaim for Cheek to Cheek
Cheek to Cheek received critical and commercial acclaim from both fans and critics, who praised Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett’s vocals, chemistry, and musicality. They also appreciated their effort to bring jazz music to a wider audience.
Here are some of the glowing reviews from credible sources:
- Rolling Stone: “Cheek to Cheek is a gorgeous reminder that standards can be as emotionally potent as any confessional pop song.”
- Billboard: “Cheek to Cheek is an unlikely triumph that finds two artists born six decades apart connecting on classics that still sound fresh.”
- The Guardian: “Cheek to Cheek is a charming exercise in mutual admiration that showcases both singers’ strengths.”
Some of the awards and nominations that the album received include:
- The Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album in 2015
- The American Music Award for Favorite Jazz Album in 2015
- The Billboard Music Award for Top Jazz Album in 2015
Some of the sales and chart positions that the album achieved include:
- Number one on the Billboard 200, making it Lady Gaga’s third and Tony Bennett’s second number-one album in the US
- Number one on the Billboard Jazz Albums, making it Lady Gaga’s first and Tony Bennett’s 12th number-one album on that chart
- Number ten on the UK Albums Chart, making it Lady Gaga’s fifth and Tony Bennett’s fourth top-ten album in the UK
In this article, we delve into the creation of the successful and acclaimed album “Cheek to Cheek” by Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. We first explore the making of the album and then examine their promotional efforts. Finally, we analyze the album’s praise and impact. This summary provides an overview of the article’s content.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and learned something new about Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. We also hope that you will listen to or buy Cheek to Cheek if you haven’t already. It is a beautiful and timeless album that will make you smile, dance, and sing along.
To learn more about Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett, you can visit their official websites. For Lady Gaga, it is https://www.ladygaga.com/. For Tony Bennett, it is https://tonybennett.com/. Alternatively, you can follow them on social media platforms. On
Twitter: @ladygaga and @itstonybennett.
Instagram: @ladygaga and @itstonybennett.
Facebook: @ladygaga and @tonybennett.
Thank you for reading this article. If you liked it, please share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to leave a comment below with your thoughts and opinions. Read More
Q: When was Cheek to Cheek released? A: Cheek to Cheek was released on September 19, 2014.
Q: How many songs are on Cheek to Cheek? A: Cheek to Cheek has 11 songs on the standard edition and 16 songs on the deluxe edition.
Q: What are some of the songs on Cheek to Cheek? A: Some of the songs on Cheek to Cheek are Anything Goes, I Can’t Give You Anything But Love, Nature Boy, Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down), But Beautiful, etc.
Q: How can I listen to or buy Cheek to Cheek? A: You can listen to or buy Cheek to Cheek on various platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, etc. You can also buy a physical copy of the CD or vinyl from various online or offline stores.
Q: Are Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett planning to make another album together? A: Yes, they are. They have announced that they are working on a second album of jazz standards together, which will be released in 2021. They have also announced that they will perform two concerts together in New York in August 2021, which will be their final performances together.