Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes of a spectacular concert? How do artists create such amazing shows that dazzle millions of fans around the world? The answer is: that they don’t do it alone. They rely on the expertise and creativity of concert tour production companies, the behind-the-scenes heroes of the live music industry.
also, they are the ones who design, plan, and execute the technical and artistic aspects of a live show. They are responsible for everything from sound, lighting, video, staging, pyrotechnics, special effects, and more. they work closely with the artists and their management to deliver a unique and memorable concert experience that reflects their vision and style.
Concert tour production companies have a long and rich history in the music industry, dating back to the early days of rock and roll. They have been instrumental in shaping the artistic expression and performance of musicians, as well as influencing the culture and trends of live music. They have also faced many challenges and opportunities along the way, adapting and innovating to meet the changing needs and expectations of artists and fans.
Explore how concert tour production companies shape the music world, from their past to present trends and future innovations. We will also provide some examples of famous concert tours and their production companies, as well as some tips on how to find and hire a professional concert tour production company for your show.
The History of Concert Tour Production
The history of concert tour production can be traced back to the 1950s and 1960s when rock and roll emerged as a new musical genre that attracted large and enthusiastic audiences. Artists like Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and others began to tour extensively across different countries and continents, creating a huge demand for sound systems, lighting equipment, and transportation.
However, at that time, there was no standardized or professionalized concert tour production industry. Most venues had their own sound systems and lighting equipment, which varied in quality and compatibility. Artists had to rely on local promoters or technicians to set up and operate the equipment, often resulting in poor sound quality, feedback, distortion, or even equipment failure. There was also no consistent or reliable way of transporting the equipment from one venue to another, which often led to delays, damages, or losses.
The first concert tour production company that emerged to address these issues was Showco, founded in 1966 by Jack Calmes and Jack Maxson in Dallas, Texas. it was the first company to offer a complete package of sound systems, lighting equipment, transportation, and crew for touring artists. it revolutionized the concert tour production industry by providing high-quality equipment that was consistent, compatible, reliable, and portable. it also introduced innovations such as monitor speakers for onstage feedback control, digital delay lines for sound synchronization in large venues, computerized lighting consoles for precise control of lighting effects, and pyrotechnics for visual enhancement.
Showco quickly became the leading concert tour production company in the world, working with some of the biggest names in rock history such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, David Bowie, Genesis, U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and many more. Showco also influenced other concert tour production companies that emerged in the following decades such as Clair Brothers Audio Systems (founded in 1966), Britannia Row Productions (founded in 1975), PRG (founded in 1982), Tait Towers (founded in 1978), Stageco (founded in 1985), Live Nation Entertainment (founded in 2005), AEG Live (founded in 2002), and others.
they have played a vital role in the evolution of live music over the years. They have enabled artists to create spectacular shows that have captivated millions of fans around the world. and they have also contributed to the artistic expression and performance of musicians by providing them with creative tools and solutions that enhance their musical vision and style.
The Challenges and Opportunities of Concert Tour Production
Concert tour production is not an easy or simple task. It involves many challenges that require creativity, technology, and teamwork to overcome. Some of the common challenges that concert tour production companies face are:
- Logistics: Concert tour planning includes coordinating venues, dates, routes, transportation, accommodation, permits, insurance, security, and various essential elements. Concert tour production companies have to deal with different regulations, laws, cultures, and languages in different countries and regions. They also have to cope with unexpected situations such as weather changes, traffic jams, equipment failures, or emergencies.
- Budget: Concert tour expenses include artist fees, production, marketing, venue rental, staff salaries, and various other costs. Concert tour production companies have to balance the budget and ensure the profitability of the tour. They also have to deal with fluctuations in currency exchange rates, inflation, taxes, and other financial factors.
- Safety: Ensuring the safety of the artists, crew, and audience is a paramount concern for concert tour production companies. They have to comply with health and safety regulations and standards in different venues and countries. They also have to prevent and manage potential risks such as fire, electricity, crowd control, terrorism, or natural disasters.
- Quality: Delivering a high-quality concert experience is the ultimate goal of concert tour production companies. They must ensure flawless and consistent sound, lighting, video, staging, and other technical aspects of the show. They ensure the show’s artistic aspects align with the artist’s vision and style, ensuring faithfulness and appeal.
However, along with these challenges, concert tour production also offers many opportunities for growth and innovation. Some of the opportunities that concert tour production companies have are:
- Technology: Technology is a key driver of innovation and improvement in concert tour production. Concert tour production companies can leverage technology to create new and better solutions for sound, lighting, video, staging, special effects, and more. Technology can also help concert tour production companies streamline their processes, reduce their costs, increase their efficiency, and enhance their communication and collaboration.
- Audience: The audience is the ultimate judge and beneficiary of concert tour production. Concert tour production companies can use audience data and feedback to understand their preferences, needs, expectations, and satisfaction. Concert tour production companies can also use audience engagement tools such as social media, mobile apps, interactive elements, immersive experiences, and more to connect and interact with the audience before, during, and after the show.
- Online: Online platforms offer new and alternative ways of delivering and consuming live music. Concert tour production companies can use online platforms such as streaming services, virtual reality, augmented reality, and more to expand their reach and access new markets and audiences. Online platforms can also complement and enhance the live music experience by providing additional content, information, features, and benefits.
The Future of Concert Tour Production
Concert tour production is constantly evolving and adapting to the changing landscape of the music industry and the world. The COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted the live music industry, leading to numerous concert and tour cancellations or postponements. However, it has also stimulated new forms of creativity and resilience among concert tour production companies, who have found ways to cope with the crisis and prepare for recovery.
Some of the emerging trends and technologies that will shape the future of concert tour production are:
- Green practices: Concert tours, with their high energy, water, material, and transportation use, contribute significantly to environmental impact. Concert tour production companies are becoming more aware and responsible for their environmental impact and are adopting green practices such as using renewable energy sources, reducing waste and emissions, recycling materials, offsetting carbon footprint, and educating artists and audiences about sustainability.
- Interactive elements: Concert tour production is becoming more interactive and participatory for both artists and audiences. Concert tour production companies are using interactive elements such as mobile apps, social media, gamification, voting systems, RFID wristbands, biometric sensors, and more to create personalized and customized experiences that enhance engagement and loyalty.
- Immersive experiences: Concert tour production is becoming more immersive and experiential for both artists and audiences. Concert tour production companies are using immersive technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, holograms, 3D projection mapping, and more to create realistic and fantastical worlds that transport and transform the live music experience.
Concert tour production companies are the unsung heroes of the live music industry. They are the ones who make the magic happen behind the scenes of every concert. Moreover, they are the ones who face the challenges and seize the opportunities in the ever-changing concert business. They are also the ones who rock the world with their creativity and innovation.
This article looks into how concert tour production companies rock the world, from their past to their future. We have also provided some examples of famous concert tours and their production companies. Additionally, here are some tips on finding and hiring a professional concert tour production company for your own show.
Concert tour production companies are really important for success. and quality of live music. They handle everything from sound, lighting, video, staging, pyrotechnics, special effects, and more. These companies work together with artists. and their management to create concerts that people will always remember, showing what the artists want to share.
Artists working hard for a world-rocking show and fans seeking a dazzling live music experience should value and back these efforts.